We’re excited to announce the inaugural Edmonton International Cat Festival Student Cat Video Contest presented by McBain Camera!
Cat loving creatives, this is the contest you didn’t realize you’d been waiting for. Alberta’s largest celebration of cats—the Edmonton International Cat Festival—returns for its 6th year on Caturday, May 30, 2020 with exciting new purr-gramming and CAT-ivities including the Student Cat Video Contest!
WHAT IS THE CAT VIDEO CONTEST?
We’re looking for high school or post-secondary students or recent graduates (within 3 years) to submit a creative cat-themed video under the one or more of the following video CAT-egories:
- Furr-eign Film
- Reality TV Trailer
Videos will be shown on big screens at our May 30, 2020 event, shared on Cat Festival social media and website, and judges will select winning videos for prizes!
WHY SHOULD YOU ENTER THE CAT VIDEO CONTEST?
It’s fun! And have you ever had an opportunity to work on a film like this before?!
Finalist videos (determined by a judging committee) will be shown on the big screens at the Edmonton International Cat Festival on Caturday, May 30, 2020. There will be one winner in each video CAT-egory (Comedy, Action/Drama, Furr-eign Film, Reality TV Trailer) announced on stage (four winners total).
Winners will be announced on May 30 at the festival and each winner will receive cat-themed prizes and $100 gift cards to McBain Camera. All videos will be uploaded/shared on the Edmonton Cat Festival social media & website.
HOW WILL THE VIDEOS BE JUDGED?
The videos will be judged by a committee including cat lovers and video/storytelling experts. Judges will be assessing videos based on:
- Technical Production
Depending on the # of submissions received, videos may be split into high school/ post-sec/recent grad categories
MINIMUM VIDEO ENTRY REQUIREMENTS:
- Videos must feature at least one cat
- Videos must be either shot and edited or illustrated/animated (it cannot be a photo slideshow)
- Videos must be between 30 seconds -2 minutes in length
- Videos must be shot landscape/horizontal (not vertical, sorry!)
- Video must be created by a current Alberta high school or post-secondary student or recent grad (within 3 years)
- ACCESSIBILITY: we would like all videos that include narration/voiceover or speaking parts, to include subtitles/captions on screen to make the videos as inclusive as possible
If your video does not meet all 6 video requirements, it will not qualify for the contest.
HOW DO YOU ENTER THE 2020 CAT VIDEO CONTEST?
Enter your video to the contest by Monday, May 4, 2020 @ 11:59 p.m.
Email a link to your video to [email protected]
Subject Line: Cat Video Contest Entry
Be sure to include in your submission email:
- Your full name
- The school you currently attend or recently graduated from (within 3 years)
- If currently in school, the Grade you are in
- CAT-egory of your video (Comedy, Action/Drama, Furr-eign Film or Reality TV)
- One-to-three sentence description of your story synopsis (what your video is about)
- A link to download your video (Google Drive, DropBox, etc.)
- Credits for the video (if it was more than just you who worked on it)
You can enter up to one video in each CAT-egory (for a maximum of 4 video submissions per person)
You must be a current high school or post-secondary student or recent grad (within 3 years)
DEADLINE TO ENTER: MONDAY, MAY 4, 2020 @ 11:59 p.m.
WHAT IS THE EDMONTON INTERNATIONAL CAT FESTIVAL?
The Edmonton International Cat Festival is a not for profit event that celebrates cats, cat people and cat culture, while raising money for cat rescues! It is the only event of its kind in Alberta and over our last five events we’ve raised $112,000 for Edmonton area cat rescues! There are meown-y CATivities to do at the event including cat and kitty play zones, vendors selling all sorts of cat-themed items, cat presentations, hands-on cat-themed workshops, adoptable cats, show cats, CELEBRITY CAT meet and greets, and more, including cat videos!
Email [email protected] or message the Cat Festival on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) if you have any questions about the contest!
Thank you to our contest sponsor: McBain Camera!
McBain Camera has been providing Edmontonians with the gear and knowledge they need to capture and share the antics of their cats for over 70 years. The staff at McBain can show you which cameras can quickly focus on your frenetic feline, capture them in super-slow motion or get the best depth of field for the rare kitty who will sit still long enough for a portrait. And hey! If for some reason, you’re looking to take non-cat related photos, they can help with that too. Visit McBain at one of their five Edmonton area locations or online at mcbaincamera.com.